“WCC – The Place To Be”
Our Mission: A center dedicated to fostering, presenting and preserving the cultural, artistic and historical life of Washburn and the surrounding area.
Our beautiful historic building is a gift to the people of Washburn and surrounding area, but we count on you to help maintain it. Your support will benefit Washburn by enhancing civic pride in this beautiful town. You can be a part of preserving the most beautiful building on Bayfield Street, and helping to ensure that our rich history continues to be preserved for locals and visitors alike.
Through your support we are able to provide a community center for meetings, classes and exhibits. As a welcome center, we direct tourists to the Washburn Area Historical Museum on the 2nd floor and to local events and attractions.
To care for our building and present special exhibits and programs we rely exclusively on the support of you – our friends and neighbors – whether individual, family or business. Annual memberships and donations are the largest source of revenue we have to defray the substantial cost of keeping the Center open for business.
Our biggest expenses are heating, insurance, elevator service, payroll and building maintenance. Our operating budget is only $50,000 per year which provides only the most basic care of our building. In 2011 we completed a $10,000 sidewalk and drainage project. We were fortunate to have raised almost three-quarters of that money from member support and grants. Each year we face further maintenance issues to preserve this historic building.
We keep our rents low to encourage local use of the facility. Consider using our space for your own party or event, or that of your organization. Members receive a discount on our rental fees. There is no charge for public service meetings, but donations are appreciated and expected. Don’t be a stranger! Come and enjoy the wide array of classes, exhibits and events we have to offer.
Washburn Cultural Center’s “Wish List” for 2017 and future years:
- New lighting for the first floor art galleries. Our track lighting system is completely obsolete and must be replaced soon if we are to continue to offer professional exhibit spaces for area artists.
- New concrete steps for both the main corner entrance and the Bayfield Street entrance.
- Handicap accessible ramp and shed roof outside the Bayfield Street entrance; this was a part of the original building plan, but so far neither of these accessibility needs have been met due to a lack of funds.
- A new computer and phone system; ours are quickly approaching obsolescence.
- Climate control, either new window units or central air, for second and third floors.
- Funding for new WCC programming, like curated exhibits or summer programs for families and kids
- Funds to upgrade our permanent collection of art – museum quality matting and framing.
- Storage shelving!
- New “needs” and “wishes” always come along. If you, loyal supporter, wish to contribute any additional funds we are always grateful. Please indicate if you have a special preference.
Please become a new or renewing member today! We appreciate your continued support!
Also, please consider an honorary or memorial donation for a beloved friend or family member.
Dick Olson, President and Steve Cotherman, Director
PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW TO JOIN. SELECT EITHER A MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY OR ONE TIME DONATION.
CLICK ON THE “SUBMIT” BUTTON; YOU WILL BE TAKEN TO PAYPAL TO CHECK OUT.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT TO DONATE THROUGH THEM. MOST CREDIT CARDS ARE ACCEPTED.